The safety of our employees, clients, and community is our primary concern. Due to the county’s recent shelter-in-place order, our physical offices are currently closed. Our attorneys are still working and are available via email and phone. A staff member will gladly assist you by phone or you may refer to our website for each attorney’s email address, assuming you do not have it already.

If you are a potential client interested in scheduling a call with one of our attorneys, please call our office or email [email protected]. A staff member will reach out to you to schedule a consultation by phone.

We wish you continued good health and look forward to reopening our physical offices soon. In the meantime, please stay safe.

Strategically Overcoming
Complex Problems

50-50 splits and community property: Protect your assets

A high-asset divorce can be troubling at the best of times. You’ve lived a certain way for many years, and having to consider what it will be like to lose half of your marital assets is devastating. As you know, California is a state that allows for community property division, which means that you and your spouse are more likely to have to split your assets 50-50.

The good news is that there are ways to override the 50-50 split that is set in place by law. One of those is through a prenuptial agreement. Another is through a postnuptial agreement. Finally, you can override it if you and your spouse agree to different property division arrangements during your divorce.

How can you protect yourself during a divorce?

Knowing that you are, at most, likely to lose 50% of your assets is a good place to start. That helps guarantee you a number of assets, so if you’re the lesser earning spouse, it can actually be a relief to know that you’ll keep so much. On the other hand, if you are the higher earner, this could have a negative impact on your wallet.

If you have many assets, the best thing to do is to talk to your spouse and be fair. Both of you should sit down and talk about what you believe is fair and even consider mediation or arbitration to come up with a solution other than a 50-50 split.

Your attorney will help you draw up the paperwork for any agreement you decide on. That way, you can have it made official by the court.